Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Workshopping

I can't believe that the previous model didn't include watching the other fellows' workshops. I think that giving my workshop to this safe community of learners enabled me to get over the jitters. It also gave me a sounding board that was gentle and thoughtful.

I learned a lot about myself and what I know as a teacher by giving my workshop. At the beginning of this summer, the thought of giving a workshop to a group of teachers that were more knowledgeable than me left me quaking in my sneakers. I couldn't imagine what I could teach them. I felt like I was an expert at nothing. I realize now that I have done a lot of research to inform the strategies that I use in my classroom. So, even though my ideas are really a conglomeration of the great thinkers' ideas, I can summarize that research for other teachers to save them some of the pain. I can also give them an idea of what a pie-in-the-sky strategy looks like in the fifth grade classroom, a very real setting.

Maybe most importantly, I learned how to glean information that I can adapt to my classroom from a workshop that may have an intended audience that I don't consider myself a part of.
Each and every workshop gave me more tools for my tool box. I appreciate the opportunity to be a part of this process.

3 comments:

Warren Akin said...

Jill--I've learned so much from you and your workshop! I'm looking forward to implementing some of your strategies this fall.

Unknown said...

I would much rather hear ideas from real teachers who practice in real classrooms with real kids who have real parents than from some expert who is hawking their ideas in some book.

Tara said...

I agree that the idea of presenting to so many well trained teachers was very intimidating but, WOW, what a powerful experience!