Thursday, July 23, 2009

Bonnie Warne

I always really appreciate seeing an author in the flesh. There is always a huge disconnect for me between reading the articles and imagining these authors as teachers in their classrooms. To see her and hear her talk made it easier to understand what was happening in her classroom. I think that in academic writing, the passion for teaching can be lost in the rigid form required by the journal. I learned a lot about that corner of Idaho, I haven't spent any time there. Also, I have been looking at sentences inside a book, I think pulling them out and using them in place of practice worksheets should have been a natural next step, but I haven't made that step yet. Thanks Bonnie. Another strategy for my toolbox.

2 comments:

Anna Rachel said...

I love to meet authors, too! It also reinforced how valuable talking about the writing process can be for listeners. We've spent a lot of time talking this week about the value for students in talking about/discovering their own process. While listening to Bonnie, I was reminded of how useful hearing about other writers processes can be!

Warren Akin said...

I had the privilege of working with Bonnie as a Wright Fellow, and I am amazed at her passion, energy and expertise. She really inspires me as an educator and writer, and it is apparent the level of commitment Bonnie has to implement writer's workshop. She also shows me the importance of academic writing in terms of being a professional.