Monday, July 27, 2009

What is a Portfolio?

When implementing portfolios in my fifth grade classroom, I will be using this operating definition:

Portfolios house a collection of a student's work that has been gathered by both teacher and student. This work demonstrates a student's current level of thinking with anchor pieces as well as the student's learning process on the way to their current knowledge and skill level.

Some Questions that I still have about portfolios:

How do I go about organizing a writing porfolio inside of each student's larger every content area portfolio?

Do I assign any grade to the portfolio? Right now, I don't assign any grade to the portfolio. I let the portfolio speak to the report card grades that the student has earned during this quarter.

How do I show students the value of portfolios? How do I get them to buy into the process?

3 comments:

Warren Akin said...

As far as grading a portfolio, I wonder if you could (rather arbitrarily) assign participation points. Depending on your preference, it could be weighted higher than other assignments. This way, you acknowledge the work but maintain the spirit of reporting the learning.

Unknown said...

I know that when I conference with students about their writing, it validates their work as well as them more than any grade I could give them. It is the gift of time, even if it is only three minutes that they appreciate.

Not Quite a Newbie said...

Thanks folks. I would prefer not to grade it, but I can see that this idea is just around the corner for the rest of my school. Better to be prepared...
(Don't get me wrong, I really do love my fellow teachers. Some of them just have an overwhelming desire to turn students into numbers.)