Thursday, July 16, 2009

After the end

Chapter 10
Revising a Basal pg.150

I have done an assignment similar to Revising a Basal with my students but up until now I had completely forgotten about it. I am excited to dredge this up from the depths. Just like Lane suggests, I have students take a basic first grade reader (one of the uncreative ones) and have them use all that they have learned about making a narrative more interesting to make the reader more interesting. They can start by asking questions that they would like to know more about. We then ask another class to match original works to expanded upon works. My fifth graders LOVED this assignment. One reluctant writer said that he felt that the hard work had been done for him. He considered finding an idea to write about the most challenging part of writing. Once he had the story elements he brought them to life.

4 comments:

kell9582 said...

Thanks for sharing this Jill! I love that even the reluctant writer jumped on board. I'll have to remember this activity.

Warren Akin said...

I definitely have to try this with my students. I'm thinking "Social Studies." They really enjoy Social Studies, but I often wonder why because the text is so dry....

Mercedes said...

I like the technique.By asking questions will help the students to expand with their writing. Good

Anna Rachel said...

I love how the structure you provided freed your reluctant writer to write!! Sometimes being given some boundaries can be far more freeing than being given total "freedom."