Tuesday, July 21, 2009

What He Could Do Grandpa Diamond

Touch electric fences just for the shock.
Set a straight corner post. Drill a well.
Butcher chickens. Castrate calves. Make time
to listen to me. Take Sunday off.

Keep ten hoodlums in line
at home. Get picked first for baseball
at age seventy-- by seventh graders .
Crack it to center field.
Surprise even the skeptical.

Steward a centennial homestead. Move
from horse to Model T to GMC. Tame
wild Angus. Live by example. Exude patience.
Dance a jig. Strum a guitar. Crack a wise smile.
Hold back an I told you so. Notice
the beauty of simplicity.
Nap during chaos.

Jill Diamond
Moscow ID
NIWP Summer Institute 2009

3 comments:

Christy Woolum said...

What I love about this poem is how you arranged the lines. Often we put short phrases each on a line and it makes this really long poems. Your images are sharp and your arrangement works very well. I can sure get a picture of your Grandpa in this poem.

Not Quite a Newbie said...

This was completely guided by Marti! I would have kept everything in a phrase on the same line, but she showed me the power of the dangling verb. She called this enjambment(sp.)

Timothy said...

I like it. Especially the napping during chaos. How comfortable he is with his life and others.