Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Conferring

Lucy Calkins
Have you ever experienced this?
"Then it's like popcorn. From all corners of the room, one writer after
another pops up saying, "I'm done.'' "I'm done." "I'm done."--pg. 223

It is terrifying. I spent all last year trying to figure out what to do with them. They can't all have my attention at the same time. I had to find things for them to think about, strategies that they could do, when they thought they were done. I realized, admittedly this took a long time, that I would have to directly teach this, and list the possibilities in their notebooks and around the room. I created a You Think You Are Done revision checklist consisting of the mini-lessons that I had taught up to that point. I also offered the choice of starting a new piece, typing the draft, peer conferencing about their writing with list in hand, reading as a writer, and putting their name on the board as an available conferencer. I have a pocket chart that has all of the stages of writing. I have them put their name in the teacher conference pocket, so I know who I need to get to that day. I also try to get a hold of three of my reluctant writers or shy students that won't initiate a conversation.

2 comments:

Warren Akin said...

I think it was Calkins who said, "when you're done, you've only just begun..."

It really is a challenge. It goes back to what we were talking about--that how we go about establishing our classroom culture from day one impacts things like the "popcorn" syndrome...

Tara said...

I love the "You-think-you-are-done" checklist. To often we get these great ideas and organization is never brought up. Your insights are very helpful.