Thursday, July 16, 2009

After the End

Chapter 7 pg. 105

In every reading, I am searching for things to bring back to the classroom next year. After three months of conferences a few times a week, students are coming to me and telling me what they need to fix before I even have a chance to open my mouth. Then I have to ask them why they didn't fix these things before they sat down with me if they felt that they knew what I was going to say. I would like to try the absentee conference after the year gets really rolling. I think that it might address this behavior I find in my students.

As a reminder: The Absentee Conference suggests that students write a dialogue between you and them talking about their writing. They take this script and the writing to the conference and you read it together and talk about it or even act it out.

Doesn't this sound like fun?

4 comments:

kell9582 said...

I think the absentee conferencing would be valuable in your situation where kids already know what you are going to say. But I wonder if kids will want to do this method because it seems like a lot of extra work for them. Who knows?

Mercedes said...

I think that writing a dialog is a good idea too.

Anna Rachel said...

It seems like you've done an excellent job of creating a culture of writing in your classroom! I would love to have all my students coming to me--I usually only get a few each quarter.

Kelly--I think it might be hard to get students to engage in the work. But I am constantly reminding myself of the other Lain: "The one who does the work is the one who does the learning."

Christy Woolum said...

Yes, it does sound fun! Christy