Monday, July 27, 2009

Rethinking grading

I have been postponing the post about grading for as long as possible, hoping that if I ignore this topic it will go away. But alas, just like in my first three years, grading is threatening to give me ulcers yet again. I remember being physically sick for my first round of parent teacher conferences. I wasn't worried about talking to parents about their children, or presenting myself well, or sharing my concerns. Instead, I was mortified at the idea that I had to establish the entire system that determined what grade each student got. I felt like I wasn't teaching students anything by assigning them letter grades, I was just in charge of judging them. I still can't get away from the notion that grades are just judgments. Not to mention, judgments that are taken at a specific moment in time, but are speaking to a process that is dynamic.

I found grading writing especially difficult. If a student took all of the advice that he/she got during conferences and applied the mini-lesson strategies, and grew as a writer from draft to draft then I say A. Who am I to judge?

I have gleaned some new ideas from our dialogue that I will be trying next year to soothe my anxiety. Some of these are still held over from my previous grading model.

1. Give student access to the rubric at the beginning of a project.

2. Allow students to give feedback on the rubric.

3. Require students to score their own work using the rubric. Openly discuss the grade that the students will receive for a piece during a conference.

4. Allow them to rewrite for a higher.

5. Allow another reader to score if they think mine is unfair.

6. Give students a notebook grade--he/she tried the strategy or not

7. Give students a reading like a writer/collection grade.

8. Give a grade for revision process. (I still don't have the foggiest idea what this will look like.) Oh yeah, I also need to figure out how to weight these categories so that they reflect the writer's process and product. I still don't know about this...

I'm also still struggling about how transparent to be with my distaste towards grades.

2 comments:

Anna Rachel said...

I want to say "right on" about valuing the writing process as a part of their grade. Like so many people have said, "students value what we value."

Mercedes said...

That is true. sometimes I feel the same thing because if my students get a lower grade. I feel that it was my responsibility to teach my students well. So for that reason I try to work hard and not allow my students be behind.